Natural stone Oklahoma is featured prominently in many homes and commercial buildings; in fact, you likely see this material daily. However, you may not yet know what exactly makes “natural stone” a “natural stone.” Learning more about this material and its attributes can help you understand why it is used so often in construction and decorative projects.
What to Know About Natural Stone Oklahoma
Natural stone is an organically created rock. It can be quarried, cut, and shaped into multiple sizes and dimensions, making it an ideal material for various uses. There are many types of natural stone; the specific formation process and the minerals that make up the rock determine its type.
Every natural stone OKC can be classified into one of three distinct groups: igneous, sedimentary, or metamorphic. These titles are determined based on the natural formation processes that form the stones.
How Do Igneous Rocks Form?
Igneous rocks are the result of volcanic activity. After a volcanic eruption, the molten rock (hot liquid magma or lava) cools and solidifies into stone. Some common types of igneous rock include granite and basalt.
How Do Sedimentary Rocks Form?
Sedimentary rocks are formed from sediments, specifically organic substances and inorganic materials. Water and wind carry these from place to place until they are deposited and accumulate into layers. The sediments solidify over time and become rocks – a process known as “lithification.” Prominent selections include limestone, sandstone, and bluestone.
How Do Metamorphic Rocks Form?
Metamorphic rocks form due to structural changes in existing rocks. If igneous or sedimentary rocks are exposed to intense heat and put under extreme pressure, they become metamorphic. Commonly used types include slate and marble.
Enhancing Spaces with Building and Decorative Natural Stone OKC
From renovating homes and outdoor living spaces to constructing entirely new commercial buildings, many design and construction experts utilize natural stone Oklahoma throughout the projects. People are drawn to this high-quality material because:
- It is unique. Because of the processes and variety of minerals that form it, every natural stone features a one-of-a-kind texture and color. As a result, your project will have a distinctive look.
- It is durable. The best natural stones for construction are formed over time and through pressure. These processes make them capable of handling anything from everyday use to harsh weather.
- It is real. While artificial stone can mimic the look and feel of natural stone, it can not provide the same level of strength, beauty, and longevity. The quality of real, natural stone is always apparent.
Why It Is Essential to Choose the Right Stone
Because every type of natural stone is formed through different processes and with unique materials, there is significant variation in durability, appearance, longevity, and more. As such, before you choose a stone to use, it is essential to consider your project and what attributes its building materials should have. For example:
- If you are choosing flooring stones, they should be strong enough to handle frequent use and durable enough to withstand cracking and chipping. It must also have a texture that is comfortable to walk on and a porosity level that enhances slip resistance. Of course, it should also match the project visually.
- If you are choosing a stone for your fireplace, it should be able to handle exposure to high temperatures while staying structurally sound and aesthetically pleasing. If the fireplace is outdoors, it should also be able to withstand colder and extreme weather conditions, such as rain, snow, ice, and intense wind.
- If you are choosing a stone for a feature wall, it must be a selection that can be thinly cut without losing any of its quality. The best natural Oklahoma stone veneer options are visually appealing and can be used inside or outdoors as they are resistant to cracking, chipping, staining, and otherwise losing quality.
Three stones ideal for those interior and exterior projects (among many others) are limestone, sandstone, and bluestone.
Each of these sedimentary rocks is a long-time favorite of design and construction experts due to their long-lasting strength and beauty. Their benefits extend far beyond that, as they are also slip-resistant, weather-resistant, and easy to maintain. Limestone, sandstone, and bluestone are often available as both whole building stones and as thin veneer stones.
Your Source for Quality Oklahoma Stone Veneer and Whole Stone
Richburg Stone is a leading supplier of high-end natural stones in Oklahoma City. Our quality selections of limestone, sandstone, and bluestone are available in a range of shapes, sizes, textures, and more. Please browse our selections online or visit our Oklahoma City showroom to see our stones. If you have any questions about our materials, our stone OKC experts are prepared to help.