When choosing rock and stone OKC, always consider what the best possible material for your project will be. Sandstone and limestone are used in many construction projects, but one is better than the other. It all depends on your project and preferences.
The characteristics of sandstone make it an excellent choice for many building and decorative stone OKC projects. Here are some of the
- Hardness – Sandstone has a rating of 6 or 7 on Moh’s Scale of hardness, which means it has the hardness necessary to last. However, it still remains soft enough to cut into the desired shape and size.
- Compressive strength – The compressive strength of a stone measures how well it can hold weight. Sandstone has a compressive strength that ranges between 90 and 140 N/mm2.
- Specific Gravity – The specific gravity of a stone is the measure of its density. High-quality sandstone has a specific gravity of 2.7 Kg/cm3.
- Weather-resistant – Oklahoma sandstone is a naturally porous building material. It is capable of weathering the rain, snow, high winds, and harsh sunlight that come with our state’s weather.
- Heat Capacity – Sandstone has an excellent heat capacity that makes it heat-resistant. This will help protect structures.
- Slip-resistance – Thanks to the porosity of sandstone, it has a natural texture. Sandstone will prevent slips and falls, making it ideal for pool and flooring stone.
Limestone is another popular rock and stone OKC. Here are a few of limestone’s characteristics.
- Hardness – Limestone is not the hardest rock, with a 2.5 to 4 rating on Moh’s hardness scale. However, a stone that is too hard can be difficult to cut and shape.
- Compressive Strength – Limestone has a compressive strength of 60 to 170 N/mm2. This is a broader range than sandstone, and some limestone may have a higher compressive strength than sandstone.
- Specific Gravity – The specific gravity of limestone is very close to the specific gravity of sandstone at 2.5 to 2.7 Kg/cm3.
- Weather-resistant – Oklahoma limestone has a slightly lower porosity than sandstone. It is, however, still naturally porous. Limestone can easily weather storms, snow, high winds, and bright sun as a building material.
- Heat Capacity – Limestone also has natural heat and fire resistance, which protects buildings.
- Slip-resistance – The texture and porosity of limestone also provide traction. Natural limestone can help reduce falls when used as a flooring stone.
Choosing Your Stone OKC
While there are slight differences between limestone and sandstone, both are excellent building and decorative stones. One may meet your needs better than the other, based on the specs for your project.
Both stones are available in different colors, cuts, and textures so that you will find the perfect choice for your next project. Additionally, natural stones are easy to maintain and less likely to break and crack than other building materials.
At Richburg Stone, we supply a wide variety of limestone and sandstone options. We invite you to see our showroom for yourself or contact us with any questions you may have. Our team is happy to help you make the best selection.