There is a variety of building stones available when you are ready to build or upgrade your home. When choosing your rock and stone OKC, however, it is imperative to consider how it will work in your space and how long it will last. Here is an overview of stones commonly used in construction.
Types of Stones
- Marble is the first stone many people think of when dreaming of high-end finishes. With a specific gravity is 2.65 and compressive strength is 70–75 N/mm2, the stone can be installed indoors or outdoors. Due to the high price point and necessary maintenance, it typically appears in indoor spaces for countertops, flooring, steps, and ornamental pieces.
- Quartzite is formed from sandstone. It has a specific gravity that varies from 2.55 to 2.65, and the crushing strength varies between 50 and 300 N/mm2. It is mostly used indoors for decorative purposes or to create kitchen countertops.
- Sandstone is a building material you will see throughout Oklahoma. It weathers beautifully on building exteriors, and it is available in a wide range of colors.
- Granite is a stone known for its strength and durability. This stone works wonderfully indoors and outdoors. Its near indestructibility simple maintenance has made it a sought after alternative to marble countertops.
- Slate is a composition of quartz, mica, and clay. It has a specific gravity of 2.6 to 2.7 and a compressive strength that varies between 100 and 200 N/mm2. You typically find it in roofing tiles and slabs.
- Gneiss rock is often labeled as granite. While it has similar properties to granite, this metamorphic rock is different. It comes in a variety of shades, and it can be polished to create beautiful countertops.
- Limestone is a durable building stone that can withstand Oklahoma weather for years. It is beautiful on a building exterior but can also be cut to cover indoor surfaces.
These are just a few of the rock and stone OKC options available. Your project, budget, and willingness to maintain the stone will help you narrow down your choices. Once you know which types of stones you are looking for, reach out to local suppliers and take a look at their selection. An established company with a good reputation will have a team capable of helping you find the stone that will finish off your home beautifully.
Selecting the right stone for your exterior and interior decoration work is very important, there are several things to take into consideration when picking the right stone, for example: if you’re looking to build wall mounted appliances like water softeners in laundry rooms or heating in bathrooms that need to be embedded into the walls, you need to make sure that the right stone is fit for molding or cutting without breaking or chipping. So consider all these things before picking stones for your construction and decoration.